Singers of United Lands
Since 2008, Symphony Chorus of New Orleans has hosted an annual multi-cultural education outreach residency with Singers of United Lands (SOUL). This week-long residency has sent the SOUL Vocal Quartet to sing and do workshops in the Greater New Orleans Area’s public, private, and parochial schools, libraries, retirement communities, colleges. and universities. The week culminates in a festival concert featuring SOUL, SCNO, and area school and college choirs. SCNO sings music from each of the quartets’ home countries, the quartet sings, and then we invite all the choirs present to unite in American classical, folk, spiritual, and gospel selections.
During the past seven years SCNO has sung music from the 28 countries.
- 2016: Albania, Malaysia, Norway and S. Africa
- 2015: Cameroon, Ecuador, Iran, and Thailand
- 2014: Croatia, Nigeria, Taiwan, Uruguay
- 2013: Guatemala, Ireland, Philippines, Russia
- 2012: Bolivia, India, Namibia, Poland
- 2011: Australia, Colombia, Mi’kmaq – Canada, Zambia
- 2010: Estonia, Haiti, Rapa – Polynesia, Venezuela
- 2009: Chile, Kenya, Korea, Latvia
- 2008: Brazil, Czech Republic, Republic of Georgia, Zimbabwe