Singers of United Lands
From 2008 – 2016, Symphony Chorus of New Orleans (SCNO) hosted an annual multi-cultural education outreach residency with Singers of United Lands (SOUL).
This week-long residency sent the SOUL Vocal Quartet to sing and do workshops in the Greater New Orleans Area’s public, private, and parochial schools, libraries, retirement communities, colleges, and universities. The week culminated in a festival concert featuring SOUL, SCNO, and area school and college choirs. SCNO sang music from each of the quartets’ home countries, the quartet sang their featured set, and then all the choirs united to present American classical, folk, spiritual, and gospel selections. SOUL went on hiatus in 2017. We look forward to their return!
During these nine years SCNO has sung music from 40 countries in 34 different languages.
- 2016: Albania, Malaysia, Norway and S. Africa
- 2015: Cameroon, Ecuador, Iran, and Thailand
- 2014: Croatia, Nigeria, Taiwan, Uruguay
- 2013: Guatemala, Ireland, Philippines, Russia
- 2012: Bolivia, India, Namibia, Poland
- 2011: Australia, Colombia, Mi’kmaq – Canada, Zambia
- 2010: Estonia, Haiti, Rapa – Polynesia, Venezuela
- 2009: Chile, Kenya, Korea, Latvia
- 2008: Brazil, Czech Republic, Republic of Georgia, Zimbabwe